Acupuncture and acupressure are controversial topics in medicine, considered by some pseudoscience.
The method has its origins in China and is increasingly extending in Europe. It is based on the energetic meridians theory. If on their tract appears an exciting element while sticking a needle or compressing, may decrease pain, or produce improvements of the damaged organ.
The human body has 12 major energy meridians, one meridian for each organ (lung, heart, kidney, spleen, pancreas, liver) for each viscera (intestine, large intestine, stomach, gallbladder, and bladder) and two other meridians responsible for certain functions of the body (blood circulation, mental activity, metabolic functions, thermoregulation, etc.) and a plurality of secondary meridians.
Acupuncture is a practice in which needles are inserted into different parts of the human body for healing. They say it’s painful, but also cures diseases, prevents diseases, increases immunity, and can be used for therapeutic purposes.
The most commonly used acupuncture needles are made of stainless steel and silver. Needle diameter is about 0.25 mm and has a spherical tip to prevent tissue damage.
Acupuncture is based on traditional methods, not on science, but it is said to be very effective. With all these, acupuncture is considered an alternative medicine not a “base” medicine because it cannot be verified very precisely. The practice of acupuncture dates back to the 2nd century B.C. in China.
Basically, acupuncture takes over many data and processes from traditional Chinese medicine. There are different types of acupuncture on the globe.
- The World Health Organization has developed, in 1975, a comprehensive list of all the 40 diseases treatable by acupuncture. These are rheumatism (cervical spine lumbar discopathy, scapulohumeral arthritis, gonarthrosis, various aches), cardiovascular diseases (cardiac arrhythmia, arthritis, hypertension), ophthalmologic disorders (blepharitis), digestive disorders (gastro, biliary colic, chronic colicistitele), diabetes, enterocolitis, hemorrhoids, ENT disorders, neuralgia, intimate disorders (dysmenorrhea, hypermenorrhea, climax, impotence), urinary incontinence and other disorders: odontalgia, spasmophilia, hives, shingles, obesity.
- Acupuncture is also used for: stress combat, weight control, addictions, quitting smoking, dizziness, and vomiting due to chemotherapy or other intensive therapies, postoperative toothache.
- For hypertension, acupuncture sessions help to a better response to treatment.
- Acupuncture increases the tolerance of effort and improves blood circulation in cardiac cases.
- Many people have heavy legs, cold feet, and hands. These symptoms are caused by slow blood flow in the vessels of the upper and lower limbs. It is not a critical disease, but the symptoms can be ameliorated by acupuncture.
- To this type of treatment also respond well to menstrual and menopause disorders, impotence, and frigidity.
- It is not indicated for pregnant women (it is prohibited the stinging of certain points).
- It is not indicated in cancer patients; no tumor should be directly stung if it is located on the surface.
- Do not sting wounds.
- In case of skin disease do not sting the affected area, except vitiligo.
The average cost, of an acupuncture session, for an initial visit, varies from $75 to $95 and for a routine visit varies from $50 to $70.
Many acupuncture clinics offer discounts for multiple visits. For example, you will pay $80 for a routine visit, and for a 10 sessions package, you get around a 25% discount, meaning a fill price of just $600.
If you decide to go to an acupuncturist you should know that usually, an acupuncture session lasts half an hour. The number of sessions is established taking into account the type of disease and the way your body reacts to it and the treatment.
Should an average working Joe use acupuncture to cure any disease he might have?
If normal medicine seems like it isn’t helping you, you should try everything else to ensure your well-being. That, along with the fact that acupuncture won`t affect your budget all that much, you should definitely give it a try.