The Cost of Chrome Dip Rims
Rims may seem like a showy accessory for any car, but they are actually an integral part of the vehicle’s health. Some people use the terms “wheels” and “rims” interchangeably, but they are quite different. The wheel is the entire metal structure, including the rim, disc, hub, and all other elements. The rim is the outer edge that holds the tire in place – and it can be made from a few different materials, including steel, alloy, and chrome.
An incredibly attractive option for car enthusiasts, chrome wheels are made with a coating applied to other types of rims, usually alloy wheels. Chrome rims are generally a purely aesthetic option, preferred by people who love to enhance the look of their car. Buyers of luxury and sports cars usually have chrome rims, for that irresistible design of their vehicle.
How Much Does It Cost To Chrome Dip Rims?
To get a better understanding of how much you would have to pay to get rims dipped in chrome, you must consider the costs of labor and materials involved. This process will take some time, but the result is surely worth it.
You might also like our articles about the cost of rims in general, Plasti Dipping a car or curb rash repair.
In general, you will have to spend anywhere between $720 and $1,250 to have your rims dipped in chrome. The average cost per tire for chrome dipping is anywhere between $190 and $320. The cost of this service for most vehicles will be up to $1,250 for all four tires, while the price of larger rims will be anywhere between $420 and $550 per tire.
How much does labor cost for chrome dip rims?
As chrome dipping is done in general by hand, the labor involved is a great factor that affects the overall costs.
Expect to pay anywhere between $80 and $110 per wheel for the labor of chrome dipping the rims. It may seem a little too expensive, but the final result is surely worth every penny. Though, you may be able to save money on this process if you have the necessary materials and abilities to do it by yourself.
How much do the materials needed for chrome dipping rims cost?
Plan on spending anywhere between $420 and $850 for the pars, depending on the style and size of your rim. Though, the cost will depend on the place you buy the chrome dipping materials from. You may be able to save some money by looking for these supplies online.
But, if you want to save some extra effort and time, then there are pre-dipped rims on the market. The price of this option will fluctuate depending on where you buy the rims.
Total cost estimates
Taking into consideration the average prices we presented above, in the table below you can find the total cost estimates for chrome dipping your rims:
|Buying New Rims||$350 – $600 per wheel|
|Extra Large Rim Sizes||$450 – $600 per wheel|
|Labor||$350 – $600|
|Materials||$450 – $900|
|Total||$800 – $1500|
As you can see, you will have to spend a minimum of $1,250 for chrome dipping rims.
Technological process of chrome dipping rims
To refurbish the chrome rims, you will have to clean/brush off the chrome left on the rim. Aluminum oxide develops under the chrome film, which has an effect similar to that of rust.
- In the first stage, the rims are sanded with quarto sand.
- The rims are dusted and degreased. These operations are carried out with the spray gun, washing the surfaces with a degreaser
- Two thick layers of filler are applied, to cover the rough surface left after sandblasting, but at the same time, it gets fixed to it for long-term resistance.
- In the last stage, the rims are painted in the desired color and then left to dry for 12 hours
The typical process for cleaning chrome dip rims
To make a new chrome rim shine as much as possible, follow these steps:
- Perform a light rinse with water before starting an intensive clean.
- Use a special rim cleaner.
- Leave it on for a few minutes making sure it doesn’t dry out.
- Remove dust using a sponge or brush.
- Rinse with clear or demineralized water.
- Wipe with a clean cloth or a piece of suede.
- Once the rim is cleaned, you can apply colorless liquid wax. The application of wax on the rim works the same as on the bodywork: it will protect the surface, provide shine and prevent dust from adhering to the rim. The good news if you decide to wax the rims is that you will clean them more easily next time, with just water.
If you ever find a dent on the rim, from a rock or a bump on the pavement, quickly plug the area with a suitable touch-up pen.
The typical process for maintaining chrome dip rims
To keep the original shine, it is advisable to clean the rims between 2 and 4 times a month depending on how much you use your car. Without regular maintenance, rims can become irreversibly damaged due to the corrosion to which any metal is subject.
In this regard we have established a list of tips and best practices that must be followed to optimize the longevity of your rims:
- Never clean a hot rim!
- Avoid automatic car washes that use acidic products. Ask the laundry staff beforehand.
- Do not use steel wool, metal cleaners, or any other product likely to scratch your rims.
- Clean the rims between 2 and 4 times a month.
- Avoid jets with a pressure of more than 1 bar.
Important things to consider
Chrome rims, while nearly immune to corrosion and having a lifespan of decades, require more maintenance than other options. If you choose these rims, you’ll want to make sure you have the ability to give them a little extra time. Rims can be expensive to repair, so it’s ideal to avoid damaging them if possible.
If you have chrome rims, you will want to wash and polish them regularly. Be sure to give them a thorough cleaning before you move on to polishing. To keep your rims as shiny and eye-catching as when you bought them, consider waxing them when you reach the end of your cleaning routine. You can be sure that if you choose this option, you will stand out in a crowd.
If you want the look of your rims to really turn heads, there are additional things you can do to really amp up the look of your wheels. For example, you might consider fitting your car with a set of wheel covers that spin. You should note that these are purely cosmetic, but for some, appearances are everything.
- How Much Does an AFC Fitness Membership Cost? - June 2, 2023
- What is Mark Laita’s net worth? - June 1, 2023
- How Much do Home Watch Services Cost? - June 1, 2023
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!