In 2005, only 13 gyms in the USA practiced CrossFit. Today, it has reached over 15,000 locations. The philosophy of this sport is that it incorporates distinct elements from several sports with the ultimate goal of training all the parameters of your body.
As it is about strength, endurance, speed, agility, and so on, CrossFit athletes must be able to show what they can do regardless of the test they are subjected to. To lift, to climb, to jump, to push, to run, to swim, anything that crosses your mind that a human body could do and it’s hard on top of that, well, it can be a test at CrossFit.
In this article, we are going to talk about the average cost of a CrossFit membership around the world and in the United States.
How much does a CrossFit membership cost?
The cost of a CrossFit Membership is anywhere between $120 and $280 per month, depending on various factors such as the quality of the gym, the number of classes you take per week, extra benefits/perks (personal training, boot camp classes, nutrition coaching, and others) and the location of your CrossFit gym as the cities have the tendency to cost more than rural areas.
This price range is typically available for the “Unlimited” Membership and does not include any extra benefits. Usually, you will have to pay extra for things such as nutrition coaching or a personal trainer.
How much does the Unlimited CrossFit Box option cost and what does it include?
When talking about the types of memberships available at CrossFit gym, their standard option is the Unlimited class membership. You should expect to pay $130 to $280 per month for it and you will have access to an unlimited number of group classes during a month.
Also, you can take any type of class you want at most gyms. Moreover, CrossFit offers special classes like yoga, boot camps, Olympic weightlifting, advanced CrossFit, and powerlifting.
However, in some situations, you may be charged additionally for these special classes. Especially if a third party is present like a per-diem yoga instructor.
How much does a CrossFit membership cost around the world?
The cost of an unlimited CrossFit membership will vary by country and some of the most expensive countries include:
- Cayman Island, with an average cost of $250 per month;
- Korea, where the average price is $260 per month;
- Hong Kong, with an average price of $330 per month.
The United States is placed number eleven on this list, after countries such as Japan, the United Kingdom, and Australia.
|Rank||Country||Average Membership Price|
|10||United States 🇺🇸||$83.87|
Most expensive CrossFit gyms around the world
In the table below you will find 30 of the most expensive CrossFit locations in the world. These are located in Dubai, the United States, Japan, Hong Kong, and the United Kingdom. Here are the top three most expensive:
- Crossfit Asphodel in Hong Kong, with an unlimited membership of around $370 per month;
- Crossfit Central in London, with an unlimited membership of around $350 per month;
- CrossFit Vauxhall in London, with an unlimited membership of around $350 per month.
|30||Crossfit Platform||United Arab Emirates||Dubai||$359.72|
|29||CrossFit Thames||United Kingdom||London||$360.39|
|28||CrossFit Blackfriars||United Kingdom||London||$363.69|
|27||Spry Society Academy of Fitness||United States||Culver City||$363.69|
|26||Goose Island CrossFit||United States||Chicago||$365.01|
|25||Diablo CrossFit Moxie||United States||San Jose||$368.98|
|24||CrossFit Evolving Kilburn||United Kingdom||London||$371.96|
|23||CrossFit Evolving||United Kingdom||London||$371.96|
|21||Potomac Crossfit||United States||Arlington||$376.91|
|20||Paradiso Crossfit||United States||Los Angeles||$382.2|
|19||Flagship Athletic Performance||United States||San Francisco||$383.53|
|18||Flagship Athletic Performance||United States||San Francisco||$383.53|
|17||Coastal Fitness||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||$388.82|
|16||Crossfit LA (Oak Park)||United States||Los Angeles||$390.14|
|15||Arena Ready Crossfit||United States||San Francisco||$395.43|
|14||Coastal Fitness||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||$395.43|
|13||Crossfit NYC||United States||New York City||$395.43|
|12||CrossFit Jaakarhu||United States||Austin||$396.75|
|11||Flagship||United States||San Francisco||$396.75|
|10||San Francisco CrossFit||United States||San Francisco||$396.75|
|9||Timberwolf Crossfit||United States||Saint Paul||$416.59|
|8||Crossfit Solace||United States||New York||$416.59|
|7||Crossfit 852||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||$421.22|
|6||Crossfit DogTown||United States||Los Angeles||$429.81|
|5||Crossfit Spot||United States||New York||$435.1|
|4||Crossfit SPOT||United States||New York||$435.1|
|3||CrossFit Vauxhall||United Kingdom||London||$438.08|
|2||CrossFit Central London||United Kingdom||London||$438.08|
|1||Crossfit Asphodel||Hong Kong||Hong Kong||$464.2|
How much does a CrossFit membership cost in The United States of America?
In the United States of America, the average cost of an unlimited CrossFit membership will depend on the state, with the most expensive states being:
- Rhode Island, where the average price is $200 per month;
- New York, with an average cost of $220 per month;
- District of Columbia, with an average cost of $280 per month.
You may be surprised to find out that California is in sixth place, immediately after Hawaii.
|State||Average Membership Price|
|District of Columbia||$299|
The cost of a CrossFit membership depending on its type
CrossFit gym offers different membership options you can choose from, such as:
- Families and couples;
- 5 days per week;
- 4 days per week;
- 3 days per week
- Others (Weightlifting, Open Gym, etc.)
How much does the CrossFit 3 Times a Week cost?
Plan on spending $110 to $170 per month for the average three times per week membership. You will have access to 12 workouts per month at the gym, with an average of three classes per week.
This option is ideal for those who are just starting out with CrossFit and want to make sure that this method for getting fit is for them.
At some CrossFit locations you will also find other membership options, like ten classes per month, five classes per week, etc.
How much does CrossFit Personal Training cost?
Depending on the qualifications and pedigree of your trainer, you will have to pay $65 per hour to more than $110 per hour for CrossFit personal training.
At most gyms, personal training is not included in the monthly cost of a membership. So, you should ask your local gym how much both of these cost.
Keep in mind that CrossFit personal training is not the same as onboarding, which some gyms require for new members.
Onboarding is a three to four-session workout, usually done in a small group or one-on-one, to help new participants get used to CrossFit and learn the movements. On the other hand, one-on-one personal training is recommended for experienced gym members who have certain goals.
How much does a CrossFit Virtual Training membership cost?
Depending on the specific CrossFit gym and its pricing model, you will have to get out of your pocket $60 to $280 per month for the CrossFit Virtual Training membership.
Many CrossFit gyms started to offer virtual or online workouts to their members due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Tips for saving money
A CrossFit membership may be too expensive for some, but there are some ways you can save money on it.
- Get really good at CrossFit because many gyms allow competitive CrossFit athletes to train for free or at a lower cost. Or you can get a sponsor to pay for your gym membership, gear, food, and others.
- Pay annually as most gyms offer a 10% to 20% discount on fees if you sign six months or one-year contract.
- Intern/work for your membership in other ways. Call your local gym, if you are bound for cash. Ask if you can offer your services for a reduced or free membership. Two common options are providing child care for other members during classes or cleaning.
- Sign up for three classes per week and do your other workouts at home. You can save by choosing the three classes per week membership and doing other workouts at home.
- Get your CrossFit L-1 certification and train. Usually, coaches get unlimited access and free membership at the gym. The cost for L-1 certification is around $1,100, but you will get your money back and even earn more by working as a coach.
- Train virtually. Time is important now and you can save it by taking advantage of the online CrossFit membership. Two of the most popular options are CompTrain and CrossFit Invictus.
- Build a home gym. Plan on spending anywhere between $2,700 and $5,500 to furnish a home gym with CrossFit gear. However, this is a one-time fee (except for the maintenance) and you will save money in the long run.
What is the average drop-in cost for CrossFit?
The drop-in is the one-time fee for one class and at CrossFit, this costs anywhere between $20 and $40. Usually, people who visit or work in new cities take advantage of this option. But, if you are interested to join the gym for a longer period of time, most gyms will offer an intro class for free.
Also, some gyms offer deals and discounts for drop-in classes. For instance, a popular option is the “drop-in plus t-shirt”, which means you get a class and a shirt for one flat fee. Or, you will get a free class if you buy a T-shirt from the gym.
Why does CrossFit cost so much?
Compared to other fitness options, CrossFit costs may seem to be very high. But you can see it is worth the cost when you break it down.
Some of the factors included in the price are:
- Coaching staff, who earns anywhere between $37,000 and $55,00 if is a full-time coach, but this amount can be even higher if they are experienced. A part-time coach is paid with $25 to $50 per hour of class.
- Gym equipment, that would be anywhere between $22,000 and $54,000 for a regular sized-gym. The cost can get higher if the gym owner wants to offer extra classes and equipment specific to certain sports, such as turf for athletes or Strongman.
- Space: usually, CrossFit gyms are built in open area or large warehouses, which would result in a cost increase. Also, the cost of building inspections, gym insurance, and others may be quite high.
What are the additional expenses for the gym owners?
There are some other costs gym members need to consider when setting their membership prices. These may include:
- utilities and electricity;
- the maintenance of gym equipment; floor mats, wall ball, rowers, and barbells are only a few examples of equipment that must be maintained quarterly or at least once per year;
- cooling and heating expenses;
- cleaning supplies.