There are many reasons why ice cream is one of the most popular desserts. It’s cool, refreshing, and creamy; and is available in hundreds of flavors to choose from in just about any grocery store across the country.
How much does ice cream cost?
You will usually spend anywhere from $2 to more than $10 on ice cream, depending on some factors. The brand of the ice cream, the size of the container, where you get it from, and whether or not you take advantage of any discounts, are all factors that will have a big influence on the final price.
Having to choose from so many available brands, you can go through the table below to get an idea of the average price you can expect for ice cream.
|Ben and Jerry’s||$6.75 per pint|
|Baskin Robbins||$5 per 14-ounce container|
|Blue Bunny||$6.75 per 48-ounce|
|Blue Bell||$7 per half-gallon|
|Coolhaus||$7.75 per pint|
|Breyer’s||$6.75 per 48-ounce container|
|Haagen-Dazs||$16 per 64-ounce container|
|Edy’s/Dreyer’s||$6.50 per 1.5-quart container|
|Mayfield||$5 per 48-ounce container|
|Halo Top||$7 per pint|
|So Delicious||$4.50 per pint|
|McConnell’s||$9 per pint|
|Store Brand (Kroger, Great Value)||
|Tillamook||$5 to $8 per 1.75-quart|
|Straus Family||$6.50 per pint|
|Whole Foods 365||$7 per 1.75-quart|
As shown by a study done by Statista, the price of ice cream has increased from just over $2.50 in 1995, to over $4.50 nowadays.
Ice Cream Factoids
- A general statistic states that Scandinavians eat a lot of ice cream, taking first place with around 20 litres per year, per person. The second place is taken by the Americans, avid ice cream eaters as well.
- Most surveys on the topic are showing that women will usually be less likely to order ice cream as a dessert than men.
- During the late 19th century, a town called Evanston published a law to prohibit the sale of ice cream with flavoured soda, which was the basis of creating the Ice Cream Sundaes. Sellers started to take advantage of a loophole and just serve the ice cream with syrup instead, naming it an “Ice Cream Sunday”. When religious leaders got upset over the usage of the word “Sunday”, the same sellers replaced the ‘y’ with ‘e’, which gave it the final name.
- Most ice cream contains more milk protein weight for weight than is present in milk itself
- Nowadays ice creams are becoming more and more healthy, having a very low fat content, while incorporating vitamins, minerals and calcium.
- Even though there are thousands of different ice cream companies all over the world, most people wouldn’t be able to name more than a handful. Even though there are literally thousands of different flavours, a recent study shows that there are a lot of people that only know and have tasted vanilla ice cream.
- As competition is harder and harder in the niche, many ice cream brands will go above and beyond to create new flavours, which leads to the invention of some really weird flavours, like Chilli, Black Pepper, Smoked Bacon and Egg, or even the Horse Meat flavour or the Green Tea one.
- To better preserve the ice cream from an opened container, you can place pieces of greaseproof paper on top of the ice cream and then replace the lid. This will keep air from getting to it.
- If when buying ice cream you notice any ice crystals, then it’s safe to assume that it has been badly kept, allowing it to thaw. Be sure to check this, and if you notice any ice crystals, to just replace the container with one that looks fresher.
Is there any way to spend less?
Ice cream is a delicious treat that can be enjoyed any time of year. At most grocery stores, usually, at least one brand will go on sale each week and it’s worth checking to see which flavors are available at a discount before you make your purchase.
Many ice cream brands offer coupons via social media sites like Facebook as well as through their official website and email subscription lists. You can also find coupons by looking at weekly newspapers’ paper insert sections where there are often multiple pages dedicated just for food discounts.
Homemade ice cream has the potential to be cheaper than store-bought for some people, depending on what they’re making it with. Mint.com claims that homemade costs around $3.95 per pint, which is around $.50 less than averagely priced pints of ice cream at stores.