We are in the century of speed, and for each of us, the resource of time is becoming more and more important. We all want to maximize gains and minimize losses.
When it comes to cleanliness, we all have a point of view. Even if we love to do it, we may not always have the time or the right skills to do it. Besides, some of us spend a long time at work and once we come home, we would prefer to do other, more relaxing activities. Others no longer have the energy to complete these tasks as well, either because of a stressful job, a health problem, or old age.
Regardless of which category you fall into, it’s important to know that there are alternatives when you need help with such cleaning and housekeeping activities.
How Much Does Deep House Cleaning Cost?
Plan on spending anywhere between $0.15 and $0.30 per square foot for deep cleaning your house. So, for a 1,000-square-foot house, you will pay $150 to $300. However, most deep cleaning services have a minimum fee which would be anywhere between $130 and $220. The costs would be higher for a larger house. For instance, you will have to pay almost $550 for a 3,000-square-foot home.
Keep in mind that these price estimates are not available for monthly visits or weekly touch-ups, but for annual cleaning of all dark places, the top of the cabinets behind appliances, and others.
Factors affecting the costs
There are some factors that will affect the cost of deep house cleaning, such as:
Travel distance: fuel costs and travel time will impact the home cleaning costs.
Home size: In order to cover their transportation costs, travel time, and cleaning, most house cleaning services charge a minimum fee. Otherwise, the costs will increase by size. Though, in larger houses, the cost may decrease a little per square foot.
Provider of the equipment and supplies: Most cleaning companies will provide you with a list of all the supplies and equipment necessary for cleaning. Also, they may offer you the possibility to choose the supplies you like. Moreover, you can get a discounted rate if you provide your own mop, vacuum, and other cleaning supplies.
Dirt level: Before giving a deep cleaning estimate, most companies will send a representative to evaluate the dirt level. This person will take a look around and note the condition of the bathrooms, kitchen, flooring, and others. The higher the dirt level, the higher the costs. Also, there are companies that use an online form/questionnaire you have to fill out to receive a quote. In general, these companies have the highest costs.
Additional services: Usually, basic deep cleaning does not include cleaning the inside of the cabinets/stove/fridge, windows cleaning, scrubbing smoke residue off walls, and taking out the blinds to vacuum/dust them. All of these services come at an extra cost.
How picked up your house is: Deep cleaning costs do not include picking up toys or clothes from the floor or moving dishes put of the sink. When clutter slows down the cleaning work the cost will get higher.
If the house is empty: The costs of cleaning an empty house will be lower as it is easier and faster to clean.
Deep house cleaning overview
A deep house cleaning done according to the book is more efficient and more durable than the usual, daily, or weekly cleaning. This would include the following tasks:
- vacuuming carpets, rugs, parquet, etc.;
- removing cobwebs;
- washing the windows (accessible) on both sides, the moldings, and related windowsills on the inside and outside;
- wiping mirrors;
- cleaning and disinfection of the kitchen and sanitary units in detail;
- washing the tiles in the bathroom and kitchen;
- external cleaning of electrical appliances;
- erasing doors, frames, and railings;
- dusting the furniture, only outside;
- cleaning sockets, switches, and plinths;
- erasing lighting fixtures, speakers, and air conditioner;
- external cleaning of radiators and pipes;
- treating wood, glass, aluminum, and stainless steel surfaces with protective solutions;
- wet wiping of floors (parquet, tiles);
- garbage collection and disposal;
- cleaning ashtrays, replacing cleaning bags;
- airing and deodorizing the rooms.
Cost of home cleaning and supplies
Here we will talk about two cost categories: the cost of equipment and supplies provided by the cleaning company vs the ones provided by you in order to get a discounted rate on cleaning.
Supplies and equipment
Quality vacuum with a toolset that includes extension for reaching under furniture, upholstery brush, and others – $150 to more than $510
Inform the deep cleaning company whether you have such a piece of equipment, so you can get a discounted rate.
Multi-purpose cleaning solutions, mops, cleaning cloths, sponges, buckets, etc. – $15 to $60
Brushless vacuum for various TLC floors, hardwood flooring, luxury vinyl, and laminate – $130 to more than $320
Floor cleaner – $15 to $35
Steam mop for concrete, stone, or ceramic tiles – $140 to $210
Mop for the type of floor you have as there are laminate floors that should not be wet-mopped, but cleaned with a slightly damp mop – $18 to $60
Here is a list of the prices charged for certain cleaning jobs which, in general, are not included in the cost of deep cleaning a home.
Garage cleaning – $65 to $130
Outside and inside window cleaning – $7 per window side
Removing sink areas, shower enclosures, and heavy mineral scaling from tubs – $12 to $35 per location
Cleaning both sides of a sliding glass door panel – $12 per side
Cleaning blinds – $12 to $22 each
Wall scrubbing – $25 to $55 per room
Thorough stove cleaning – $35 to $65
Carpet cleaning – $35 to $80 per stair or room
Cleaning the interior of a stove or fridge – $25 to $45
Cleaning the interior of empty kitchen cabinets – $35 to $80
Cost estimates by type of the house
- two-bedroom house – $180 to $350
- three-bedroom house – $270 to $540
- four-bedroom house – $340 to $715
- five-bedroom house – $430 to more than 900
- one bedroom apartment – $130 to $270
- two-bedroom apartment – $155 to $300
Cost estimates for different apartment and house sizes
These cost estimates are given based on the common number of bathrooms for each type of home.
- up to 800 square feet – anywhere between $130 and $200
- 801 to 1,000 square feet – anywhere between $130 and $250
- 1,001 to 1,200 square feet – anywhere between $145 and $290
- 1,201 to 1,400 square feet – anywhere between $175 and $340
- 1,401 to 1,600 square feet – anywhere between $200 and $385
- 1,601 to 1,800 square feet – anywhere between $230 and $440
- 1,801 to 2,000 square feet – anywhere between $255 and $475
- 2,001 to 2,200 square feet – anywhere between $285 and $520
- 2,201 to 2,500 square feet – anywhere between $320 and $585
- 2,501 to 2,800 square feet – anywhere between $355 and $660
- 2,801 to 3,200 square feet – anywhere between $400 and $730
- 3,201 to 3,600 square feet – anywhere between $455 and $830
- 3,601 to 4,000 square feet – anywhere between $510 and $960
- 4,001 to 4,500 square feet – anywhere between $565 and $1,035
- 4,501 to 5,000 square feet – anywhere between $635 and $1,110
- 5,001 to 6,000 square feet – anywhere between $710 and $1,335
Inspection, permits, and related costs
You will not need a permit or inspection for deep cleaning, so the costs related to this are zero.
Installation time and labor
Currently the labor rates and high and this will reflect in the total costs for deep house cleaning.
The companies that provide deep house cleaning services charge anywhere between $35 and $65 per hour for this work and pay their employees anywhere between $17 and $28 per hour.
In general, the cleaning staff is made up of two or more people, depending on the size of the house. Also, depending on the condition of the house, two people can clean around 500 square feet per hour.
- 2 to 3 hours: 1,000 square feet
- 3 to 4 hours: 1,500 square feet
- 4 to 5 hours: 2,000 square feet
- 5 to 6 hours: 2,500 square feet
- 5 to 7 hours: 3,000 square feet
- 7 to 9 hours: 4,000 square feet
- 8 to 10 hours: 5,000 square feet
Hire a pro or DIY?
Deep house cleaning can even take a few days if it is done by one person, but by calling on the help of a specialized company you can save time and energy while benefiting from a much more efficient and detailed cleaning.