To answer the question right off the bat, the average generic antibiotics cost is around $43 without insurance. Brand-name antibiotics, on the other hand, are priced at about $222 on average. There are several steps you can take to reduce the amount you will be required to pay for antibiotics, out of which, the most important one is to go for a generic version of the same medicine instead of the brand name. Ask your doctor about the appropriate generic drug instead of the brand name they are recommending.
How Much Do Antibiotics Cost Without Insurance?
The average generic antibiotics cost is around $45 without insurance. Brand-name antibiotics, on the other hand, are priced at about $250 on average. But, as with all types of drugs, there are several factors that will influence your final bill, like whether you get a brand name or a generic antibiotic, whether you have insurance coverage or not, and the exact type of antibiotic you are prescribed.
The Cost of Common Antibiotics Brands Without Insurance
|GENERIC||GENERIC PRICE||BRAND||BRAND PRICE||DOSAGE|
|Clindamycin||$85.53||Cleocin T||$228.07||300 mg|
|Doxycycline||$45.35||Mondoxyne NL||$161.47||100 mg|
|Amoxicillin||$14.35||No longer available||N/A||500 mg|
The condition needed to be treated will influence the type of antibiotic that you are prescribed. The strength of your immune system, as well as the severity of the condition, will also influence the type of antibiotic you need to have prescribed. You should go for a generic option whenever this is possible, as these work just as well as their brand-name antibiotic counterparts, but will usually be a lot cheaper.
Expect prices that are even higher than what you can see in this table if you need drugs that aren’t very known and widely used. As long as you have at least some coverage, you will be faced with lower prices for the needed medications. It’s important to have some coverage to make sure you can afford all of the medications you need. You might be required to pay out of pocket until you meet your deductible, or you might be required to pay more than the listed prices even with traditional insurance.
How to Lower the Cost of Antibiotics
As it might be expensive to pay for antibiotics without insurance, here are some tips to reduce their price as much as possible.
- Coupons and Discount programs: There are pharmacies that offer discounted medications if you have a membership card with them. Some of the more common examples are Publix, Walmart, Wegmans, Price Chopper, Kroger, and Costco.
- Look around for prices at different pharmacies: Depending on the pharmacy where you get your medication, the cost of antibiotics will usually differ and the difference is sometimes considerable.
- Get a generic antibiotic: Once you have the antibiotic prescribed by your doctor, you should go for the generic one instead of the brand-name medication. Most of the time, the medications are very similar in composition, making the generic antibiotic just as potent as the brand name, although it will be less expensive.
Antibiotics Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What are antibiotics?
Antibiotics are a type of medicine designed to stop or eliminate the replication and growth of a certain type of bacteria. Viral infections. fungal infections, or bacterial infections can affect both humans and animals. Antibiotics are made to target only bacterial infections.
How do antibiotics work?
Antibiotics are a type of antimicrobial substance, designed to stop or eliminate the growth of bacteria on the body or inside it. Certain types of antibiotics are called broad-spectrum antibiotics and are made to target a broad range of different bacteria, while some are made to target only a few strains of bacteria, with almost laser precision.
Doctors are able to narrow down a specific type of bacteria causing a certain infection when deciding which antibiotic to treat you with, depending on the type of infection. Certain infections are only caused by some types of bacteria.
Do I need a prescription for antibiotics?
Regardless of the antibiotic you want to get, you will surely need to have it prescribed by a doctor. You will also get more detailed information about how you should take the medicine, from your pharmacist, once you get your prescription filled at the pharmacy.
Are antibiotics safe?
Even though antibiotics are safe more often than not, it is a good idea to get in touch with your doctor whenever you want to try new medications, regardless of whether they are antibiotics or other prescription medications. When taking antibiotics, you should keep in mind some important general information like:
- Don’t use antibiotics for viral infections like colds or the flu, as they won’t work.
- It’s important to only take antibiotics when they are deemed necessary, as it’s pretty easy for some people to develop resistance to the effects of some types of antibiotics
- As generic antibiotics work the same as brand names but are a lot more affordable, it’s always better to go for the generic names.
- Because most antibiotics also kill the good bacteria in your body, antibiotics can cause vaginal yeast infections in some women. Taking probiotics is one way to avoid this.
- Antibiotics can cause side effects such as diarrhea or upset stomach, so it’s important to speak with your pharmacist about avoiding these side effects depending on which antibiotic you’re taking.
What conditions are treated with antibiotics?
Antibiotics are used to treat eye and ear infections, bacterial skin infections, pneumonia, urinary tract infections (UTIs), strep throat, and sinus infections, among others. Some very popular types of antibiotics are penicillin antibiotics.
Antibiotics treat bacterial infections and are a type of antimicrobial substances. They treat everything from UTIs and sinus infections to strep throat and more. Antibiotics can be picked up from different pharmacies, but they have to be prescribed by a doctor. Expect a cost of antibiotics between $14 and $400 without insurance, although there are some things you can do to reduce the final cash price you will pay.