A manicure is one of the most common beauty procedures required by women. This is a cosmetic beauty treatment for the fingernails and hands, done at home or in a salon.
Manicures done in a salon usually include a hand massage, pushing and clipping the cuticles, shaping the nails by choice in different forms, adding gel extensions, polygel manicures, adding different applications, and fingernail polish.
Based on the kind of manicure that you choose, the cost will greatly vary.
How much does a manicure cost?
The cost range of a manicure for both hands is anywhere from $15 to $150 and more, depending on your geographical location, the salon where the procedure is done, and the type of manicure you choose.
For instance, a basic manicure can cost between $15 and $25. This will include clearing the cuticles, shaping the free edge of the nails, and adding nail polish. The cost can also increase based on the experience of the nail technician even reaching $40 in some instances.
Acrylic nails, a very common beauty nail procedure, can cost anywhere from $35 to $80 on average. This cost will vary based on several factors such as the length of the nail, and whether it is a fill-in or extension. For a full set of acrylic nails, you can expect to pay up to $120 and even more, depending on the salon, the nail technician, and whether you need any other addons.
Gel manicures are also popular, and their costs can range between $30 to $70 and can increase depending on the style, where the procedure is done, and other factors.
These costs are estimates and can vary based on several factors such as location, nail artist, type of manicure, and its complexity.
When it comes to the style of the manicures, the French manicure is one of the most popular choices for women. The cost for this manicure will usually fall between $20 and $35 if it is made on natural nails, while a French acrylic manicure can cost anywhere from $45 to $90 depending on the salon and nail artists. On average, a French manicure will add another $5 to $15 to your basic manicure, whether your nails are natural, gel, or acrylic.
Here are several types of manicures and costs in the table below:
|TYPE OF MANICURE||AVERAGE COST RANGE|
|Standard manicure||$20 to $40|
|Acrylic full set||$25 to $120|
|Acrylic fill||$15 to $20|
|Dip powder||$35 to $50|
|French||+$5 to $15|
|Gel full set||$25 to $65|
|Gel fill||$15 to $20|
EasyNailTech.com states that the cost range for gel nails is between $25 and $120. The website also says that there are three types of gel manicures which come with their own costs:
- Gel Polish Manicures ($25-55)
- Gel Nail Extensions ($45-100)
- Polygel Manicures ($50-120)
One Quora thread stated that the cost range for a basic manicure is between $10 and $30 at an average salon, while at a more luxurious one such as a spa, the costs can be between $30 to $50 and even more. Also, the same thread stated that having artificial nails applied can cost between $30 to $100, depending on the salon, and the type of artificial nails and materials used.
The table below has information about the cost of a manicure in different states across the United States.
NailHow.com claims that the average cost of a basic manicure in the United States is around $22.75, while a gel manicure can cost $30.96 and an acrylic manicure $46.01 on average.
According to LongNailsQnA.com, the cost of a manicure in a small nail shop is between $10 to $15 for a basic one, while a premium manicure can cost between $20 to $25. However, at a Spa or Nail Salon, the cost ranges between $20 and $35 while at a premium hotel or resort the cost can range between $25 and $75 for a basic manicure.
Types of manicure
Manicures are among the most common beauty services performed by women. A manicure can be done in many styles, colors, and shapes for the nails, and with different types of materials. Depending on the salon and the nail technician multiple patterns can be done on the nail, artificial gems can be added, the nail can be made short or long, and the free edge of the nail can be shaped in various forms.
At the salon, first, the nail artist or technician will remove the old nail polish or gel, if it is the case. Then the cuticles will be pushed and clipped, for a cleaner look. After the nails are clean, the nail artist will shape the free edge of the nail, depending on your preference. However, the process will differ based on the type of manicure you want, like basic, acrylic, gel, extensions, and others.
Depending on the salon, the manicure service can include a salt or sugar hand scrub to remove dry skin, an aromatherapy soak, a massage, and a moisturizing treatment. These are usually additions provided by luxurious spas.
We listed below several styles of manicure and their steps:
- Basic Manicure: This manicure includes trimming the cuticles, shaping the free edge of the nails, applying the coat of color you prefer, and finishing with a topcoat.
- Acrylic nails full set: A full set of acrylic nail manicures is performed with a type of forming paste added to nail extensions. Once the paste is shaped the nails are placed under a UV lamp to harden the material. These acrylic nails can be created in any length and shape you want, even if your nails are small.
- Acrylic nails fill: This procedure is performed when you already have your nails done with acrylic and the nails have grown. In order to fill the gap between the nail bed and the previous acrylic set, the technician will add the same forming paste, to even the nail.
- Dip power: The dip powder is a long-lasting color manicure option where the nails are dipped into a colored powder and then sealed by applying a topcoat. This option will last longer than the basic color nail polish.
- Gel manicure full set: This manicure is a much more complex technique that implies the application of a glossier, studier, and a combination of a gel-based polish. After each layer is applied, the nails will be placed under the UV lamp, to dry. This is also called a non-chip manicure. With this procedure, you can also get extensions and these can be applied in different colors and patterns.
- Gel manicure fill: This will be required to maintain the gel manicure previously performed. The gel fill is applied over the space gap between the nailbed and the previous layer of gel caused by the growth of the nail.
- French manicure: A French manicure can be performed on a natural, acrylic, or gel-based nail. Depending on the style of manicure you choose to have, to get a French manicure, the nails will have an in color, translucent white or pink color base and will be finished with a white colored line on the tip of the nail.
What are the extra costs?
As stated above, adding a French-style manicure will add an extra $5 to $15 to your initial cost.
Usually, nail salons will charge an extra $2 to $4 per nail for creating different designs on the nail or adding gems.
Adding color strands or artificial gels to the nails can cost an extra 20% to 30% more.
You can expect to pay an additional $15 to $25 in case you want a customized color or a color that the specific salon does not have.
Take into consideration that the tip is not included in the manicure cost. Usually, the stylists expect a tip of 10% to 15%.
Removing a no-chip manicure requires a visit to the nail salon. This material cannot be removed with Aceton and the service will cost an additional $30 to $40.
Also, there may be salons that charge you for the removal of the old nail polish before proceeding with the new manicure. This may cost around $10.
There are cases when you only need to repair a broken nail. This service can be performed through silk wraps and can cost anywhere from $60 to $80.
Important things to consider
Although artificial manicures and pedicures are frequently less expensive, most people detect a difference in quality.
Typically, to maintain a perfect look for your manicure, you may need to visit the nail salon weekly. However, women say that they go every two or three weeks on average, as long as they can touch up their nails at home in the meantime.
To find the best salon or nail technician, search the name on social media platforms to see pictures of how they work and their results.
How can I save money?
To save money, you can do the manicure yourself at home if it is a basic one. However, you can also learn how to perform gel and acrylic manicures. There are multiple tutorials on the internet. If you choose to do the job on your own, you may need to acquire a manicure kit with materials, tools, and a UV lamp, but this will save you money in the long term.
The more complicated the manicure, the more expensive it can be. So, choose a more basic and clean manicure, in order to save money.
A luxurious salon will usually charge you more than a simple nail salon for the same work. Try to avoid fancy salons to save money.
Most of the salons allow the client to bring their own nail polish. This way, your manicure costs will decrease, as the nail polish will not be purchased from the salon.
To save money, ask for a polish change. Requesting a new nail polish may be more expensive.
Before choosing a place, look for several different nail salons and ask for a quote. This way you can compare the cost and what they offer in the price.
Usually, most of the salons will provide a discount if more than one person needs their manicure done. Also, besides saving money it is a perfect way to hang out with the girls for a night out or bachelor party.
Check out dedicated websites for different discount coupons for manicures.
Nail salons also often provide different promotions or discounts. Check their official social media pages to see if there are any offers.
Hiring a mobile manicurist is often less expensive than going to a salon.