The Mynah bird is considered to be a very affectionate bird that has the capability to talk and imitate human noises.
Stemming from South Asia, especially India, a couple of Mynah species are kept in captivity.
Just how much do mynah birds cost?
Usually, the expense depends upon the store/breeder, geographical place, species, age, color, size, and the abilities it has. A talking Indian Hill Mynah can retail for $450, while the Thai Hill Mynah bird will have a price of around $400. Be prepared to spend anywhere from $400 to more than $3,700 for a common breed or a lot more for one that is known to be unusual. Nevertheless, before thinking about a purchase, you should try to take a look at your regional laws and guidelines to make sure that it is legal to own one.
You can check out our table below to see what rates we were able to find online while doing our research on this topic:
|Pair of White Edge Mynah Birds||$3,900|
|Albino Hill Mynah||$1,900|
|Black Collared Mynah||$1,900|
|Red-Eyed Hill Mynah||$3,300|
|Indian Hill Mynah||$7900|
For example, on BirdsNow.com, breeders have listings that vary anywhere from $400 to more than $1,700.
According to an online forum member on BackyardChickens.com, you should be prepared to spend about $900 to $1,400.
WikiHow notes that the cost of a Mynah bird can be anywhere from $500 to $1,500.
The typical Mynah species
- Bali is among the world’s rarest bird types and also one of the mynah species is the Bali. This species is a white-colored Mynah bird that is known for its black-colored mask; this species is now an endangered species due to the damage done by humans to its natural habitat.
- The Bank Mynah is known for digging nesting holes in earthen banks.
- The Common Mynah or Indian Mynah bird, which originates from South Asia, Afghanistan, Pakistan, India, and some parts of Indochina, is typically considered an insect due to the fact that it was introduced into non-native environments to aid with insect population suppression, as TheSpruce notes.
- The Crested Mynah stems from southern China and Taiwan and is the only type of Mynah to be able to breed in The United States and Canada.
- The Hill Mynah is known as the most popular kind of Mynah since this is the species that has the best ability to learn how to talk and imitate. It has a shiny black body, reddish-orange beak, yellow skin behind its eyes, and an extended tissue of skin behind its head. The bird has yellow legs and feet with a whitish spot on its underwings. The Hill Mynah eats mostly fruits and will be the most popular Mynah bird kept in captivity.
- The Papuan and Golden Mynah are vibrant, and fruit-eating species that are commonly found in New Guinea.
- The White-vented or Javan Mynah, which stems from East Pakistan and some islands of Indonesia.
Are there any additional expenses to expect?
Bear in mind that this kind of bird can not be found at your local family pet shop and will typically need to be bought from either a localized breeder or one you will find online. Due to this, you might have to prepare for shipping costs.
A birdcage, equipped with perches, toys, and bowls for food and water, will be needed, similar to owning any other family pet bird. Depending upon the size and setup, this can easily cost well into the mid-hundreds of dollars. Specialists recommend that you get a cage at the very least 4 feet long and 2 feet high. The bird will require adequate area to hop from one end to the next with ease.
Foods, such as veggies, fruits, and the periodic pellet diet plan, will have to be allocated into the budget. Healthy vitamin supplements are extremely recommended also, and bird owners recommend putting aside somewhere close to $50 a month for a healthy, well-balanced diet plan.
Just like with any other animal bird, routine/surprise veterinarian consultations will have to be factored in also. A veterinarian consultation, even with no tests or medication, can cost more than $50.
You should think about obtaining a pair of Myna birds rather than just one as in their natural environment, these birds live in sets, or in flocks numbering as many as 30 birds. The bird, as you can see, is not used to being alone.
While optional, DNA testing will be needed in order to identify the gender of the bird.
Here are some tips to remember
The majority of Mynahs will usually live in forests, trees, shrubby places and can also be found in suburban areas.
The bird is medium-sized, broad and a strong-looking bird with a strong beak and strong legs and a short tail. The bird makes different noises such as squeaks, whistles, loud chatters, and various imitated sounds.
You should be careful what you say around your Myna bird as it can be a really great imitator, frequently imitating voices and accents in a nearly perfect method.
Make sure that the Myna bird is a healthy one before you purchase it. A healthy mynah has smooth, shiny plumes and alert eyes. It will hop around easily and also has a straight erect back. If the mynah has fluffed plumes, is uncommonly peaceful, has a hunched back, saggy eyes and stays in a corner, the bird is more than likely ill.
Do not feed it avocado as it is dangerous to the mynah. Other fruits and veggies need to be cut up into little bite pieces for easy chewing.
With the appropriate care, a Mynah can live more than ten years while in captivity.
- The Cost of Archery Lessons - October 3, 2022
- How Much Does SSSniperWolf Cost – SSSniperWolf’s Net Worth - October 2, 2022
- The Cost of an Appendectomy - October 1, 2022