Purchased separately or as a package with an electric oven, gas cooktops continue to maintain their popularity based on the low cost of operation, especially since, lately, the design brings them to the same aesthetic level as the electric ones. Available in retro, rustic, or modern-minimalist versions, these products are not at all easy to choose, benefiting from a varied and complex offer.
Regardless of the gas cooktop model you purchased, in the installation and use manual, right from the beginning, it is mentioned that the installation of the gas cooktop must only be carried out by an authorized technician.
How Much Does It Cost To Install A Gas Cooktop?
There are several factors that affect the cost of installing a gas cooktop such as the necessity to remove the old equipment, whether there is an oven or not, the installer you choose, with well-known companies that offer quality service at a higher price compared to a lesser-known provider which is cheaper, the number of burners that are installed and others.
In the table below you will find the average costs involved with installing a gas cooktop.
|Item||Unit Cost||Quantity||Line Cost|
|Gas Cooktop||$500-$1,200 each||1||$500-$1,200|
|Labor Cost (installation)||$85 per hour||2||$170|
|Labor Cost (appliance removal)||$85 per hour||1||$85|
What are the additional expenses?
The costs we presented above do not include the expenses of making sure that electrical and gas supplies meet the current and local codes and repairing the framework or cabinetry box on which the cooktop sits.
It may be necessary to run gas lines and this is not a DIY project under the majority of local building laws and codes. Expect to spend around $460 or even more for running and installing gas lines and a tank.
An important aspect of gas cooktops is ventilation. Most of these units come with self-ventilation, but if there is no proper ventilation or ductwork, you must add it to the entire cost of the project.
When installing a gas cooktop, you can add extra features such as digital touch controls, LED displays, or an automatic reignition feature. The last one is the ultimate safety feature and costs around $620.
The steps of installing the gas cooktop
If you are interested in reading the gas cooktop installation manual, you will see that it marks each step, and, moreover, it comes with clear instructions.
Here are, in general, these stages:
- Disassembling the gas cooktop – before installation, the gas cooktop must be prepared and the protective elements for transport must be removed – the protective foil, the cardboard, the adhesive tapes, the polystyrene; the manual mentions that non-compliant disassembly can lead to the loss of the product warranty – one more reason to contact a company specialized in gas cooktop installations!
- Positioning the gas cooktop – is an operation that must comply with several standards and, again, it must be performed by an authorized technician in gas cooktop installations. We need ventilated spaces that cannot generate fires.
- The installation of a built-in gas cooktop is a bit more difficult – it also requires compliance with well-established rules and standards and perfect fixing in the worktop with the help of special clamps. The operation is even more complicated than in the case of a regular gas cooktop, so it is best to contact a technician authorized to install a gas cooktop. They will know that to ensure ventilation, the rear wall of the furniture must be removed.
- Connecting the flexible stainless-steel hose – it is very important that, after connection, a check is made to make sure that there are no gas leaks. The check is done with a soapy water solution and never with a flame!
- Connecting the power cables to the electrical network – nowadays, most gas cooktops have electric ignition, therefore, when installing the gas cooktop, it is also necessary to connect to the electrical network.
- Adapting the burners to different types of gas and adjusting the air to the burners – these are operations that require experience and on which the good functioning of your gas cooktop depends. A faulty adjustment can generate big problems regarding the functionality of the burners.
- Adjusting the minimums and maximums on the gas cooktop burners – checking will be done by turning the knobs to a minimum and maximum and checking whether the flame is maintained or not.
- Issuance of the gas cooktop installation documentation with the signature of the authorized technician.
Important things to consider
It is not recommended to install the gas cooktop by yourself, as it involves coupling with an active gas pipe, and the use of inappropriate tools can lead to serious accidents. Call a specialist or an authorized person from your gas company. As a general measure, make sure that the space where you install the gas cooktop is properly ventilated and at a safe distance from flammable materials.
What are the dimensions of gas cooktops?
The standard size of the gas cooktop is 60 square cm, for gas cooktops with 3 or 4 cooking zones. You can also find 30-36 square cm gas cooktops, which have 1 or 2 cooking zones and are ideal for small kitchens. For larger kitchens and larger families, there are gas cooktops of up to 90 square cm, with up to 6 cooking zones.
Do I have to install a hood as well?
If the space allows, we recommend that you also install a hood, especially if you opt for a gas cooktop. This is because a gas cooktop releases more steam and more carbon dioxide than electric cooktops, so it is ideal to have a hood that keeps the air in the kitchen cleaner.
What is the power of the burners on the gas cooktops?
For gas cooktops, power is measured in watts. As a rule, the power of burners starts from 750 W for small ones and can exceed 4000 W for large burners.
Do I need to install a gas detector?
Yes, it is necessary to install a gas detector when you use any electrical appliance that uses this fuel.