A helix piercing goes through the upper ear cartilage to insert a piece of fashion jewelry. The term helix describes the rim of the outside part of the ear, which is made from cartilage.
Just how much does a helix piercing cost?
Typically, a helix piercing price will depend upon your geographical area and the shop or professional you work with. For just the piercing, you should be ready to spend anywhere from $20 to $55. From what we could gather online, no matter the type of piercing you’re thinking about, you should be prepared to spend the exact same amount, with the exception of an orbital piercing, which can cost upwards of $80. You can check out our “types of helix piercings” table below to see your available choices.
Body Piercing Mag states that you need to be prepared to spend anywhere from $20 to $50, depending upon the trustworthiness and reputation of the shop.
According to TrulyGeeky.com, any helix or forward helix piercing can have a price of $20 to $50, whereas a helix orbital piercing can cost $60 to $80.
Pierced Hearts, a piercing studio situated in Seattle, Washington, has a list of prices available on their main website. According to their price list, they charge $36 for a helix piercing with a ring or $45 with a straight barbell. An antihelix can cost $59 with a curved helix.
Helix piercing details
Generally speaking, a helix piercing will either be a single or double, or in some remote cases, it can be a triple piercing. These piercings will be placed in the upper cartilage of the ear, however, it is possible to have your inner ear, where the ear flexes around to meet your head too.
A helix piercing will be placed with an 18-gauge or curved sterilized needle. Professionals will avoid utilizing a piercing tool due to the shock that might lead to an infection. Throughout the piercing process, a small cork will be placed to obstruct the opening of the ear canal, preventing any foreign debris from going into the ear. The needle will then be inserted until the fashion jewelry is safely added. As the spot is being pierced, the piercer will make sure you keep your head as still as possible to avoid any abrupt movements.
As soon as the piercing is done, you can place any fashion jewelry you want such as a stud, microdermal, horseshoe barbell, or bar closure ring.
A forward helix piercing can take 2 to 4 months to recover entirely. In some severe situations, it might take up to 12 months or slightly more.
Kinds of helix piercings
- Single. A single perforation will be made in the upper cartilage area.
- Double. Similar to the single, however, 2 perforations will be needed.
- Triple. 3 piercings are performed in a row along the upper cartilage.
- Ant. Frequently described as snug, this piercing will go through the inner cartilage from the middle to the side. With this kind of piercing, a little barbell will be applied.
- Forward. A forward helix will be made near the upper part of the helix where the ear and head will meet.
- Inner. Inside the inner cartilage of the ear with a smaller-sized, curved needle.
- Lower. Instead of the upper area, like the majority of the helix piercings, it will be done near the lower area, closer to the earlobe.
- Orbital. 2 piercings will be done side by side, making it look as if it’s an orbiting piercing.
- Mid. A helix piercing made in the middle area.
- Reverse. Very similar to the single piercing, however, it will be carried out in reverse.
- Upper. Made in the upper area.
- Vertical. Inside the helix area, however, it will be vertical.
What are the additional expenses?
The jewelry, after the piercing is completed, should be seen as an additional expense. Jewelry will have a price that can start at $20 and increase from there. It will truly boil down to the design that you go for.
Tips of around 15 to 20 percent of the full price are usually expected by the piercer.
Aftercare is pretty much essential, and it’s best recommended that you utilize a cotton ball with warm water to try to prevent an infection.
Tips to keep in mind
The discomfort, according to piercers, isn’t too hard to take considering that there are no nerve endings. Keep in mind that a helix piercing will go through the cartilage. Nevertheless, some might feel minor pain as the piercer places too much pressure on the cartilage as they are carrying out the piercing. The discomfort, even if you feel it, shouldn’t last more than 10 seconds, but it will depend upon your pain tolerance levels the majority of the time.
After the piercing, you should try to prevent direct contact for a couple of days to avoid swelling or infection. Also, avoid utilizing any body-sprays, makeup, and/or perfumes.
A crust will form after the piercing, and in some remote cases, it can be tempting to pick at it. Doing so can result in a big infection if left untreated.
Not everybody will look good or be able to wear this kind of piercing. For instance, if you’re a professional athlete, then you might wish to skip this one because the piercing might bring unwanted effects.
How can you save some money?
The majority of places will be more than pleased to offer you a price quote over the phone. Call a couple of piercing artists in your area and see what they are going to charge and if you can receive any discount or coupon.
- How Much Does SSSniperWolf Cost – SSSniperWolf’s Net Worth - October 2, 2022
- The Cost of an Appendectomy - October 1, 2022
- Stress Test with Echo Cost - September 30, 2022