Even if at first glance it doesn’t seem complicated, the decision to move to another state is not a simple one at all. Maybe you want to make a significant change and think it’s time to leave behind the excitement of a much too crowded area. Or maybe your career requires you to move. Regardless of the reason, if you want to follow a different path in life, a new city gives you plenty of opportunities to start from scratch. But that doesn’t mean it will be easy for you.
One of the most consuming aspects of moving to another state is packing everything. This process can be extremely difficult and stressful. When moving is a fad and not a necessity, the task may be overwhelming. You need a lot of sheets, boxes, soldering strips, or other materials to help you put your things safely. You have to organize yourself very well to fit everything in a truck, and then you will start again with unpacking. For some, the moving may not be worth the time and effort needed to pack, so they may call for help and hire a company specialized in moving.
How much does it cost to move out of state?
Moving out of state can cost you from $700 up to $16,000, depending on many factors. The average cost of moving out of state is between $2500 – $6500. Long-distance moving can cost you from $1500 to $9000, while short-distance moving ranges between $700 and $3,000, depending on the distance and on whether you need additional help.
How to Calculate Moving Costs?
The average cost to move out of state for a distance of approximately 1,000 miles
|Type of Service||1 Bedroom||2-3 Bedrooms||4-5 Bedrooms|
|Full Service||$2300 – $4000||$3500 – $9000||$7500 – $16000|
|Moving Container||$2200 – $3200||$2800 – $5500||$4800 – $9000|
|DIY/Truck Rental||$1800 – $2700||$2500 – $4400||$3800 – $5800|
Depending on the size of the home and the distance, professional out-of-state movers can charge from $1000 up to $8500.
|Distance||1 Bedroom||2 – 3 Bedroom||4 – 5 Bedroom|
|2500 miles+||$2000 – $4000||$4300 – $8100||$9000+|
|1000 miles+||$1600 – $3200||$2500 – $7500||$5900 – $8800|
|250 miles||$1400 – $2300||$1900 – $4100||$2300 – $5400|
|100 miles||$1200 – $1800||$1400 – $2300||$2200 – $5200|
When moving out of state you may need a moving container which may cost between $1,500 and up to $4,600, depending on the weight and the distance.
|Distance of Move||Approximate Moving Cost|
Another option may be to rent a 28-foot freight trailer when moving out of state. The price varies depending on the distance and the weight of your things.
|Distance||1 Bedroom||2 – 3 Bedroom||4 – 5 Bedroom|
|2500 miles+||$2100 – $3100||$2200 – $3600||$4700 – $7000+|
|1000 miles+||$1200 – $2300||$2100 – $3100||$3300 – $4300|
|500 miles||$800 – $2000||$1400 – $2000||$2200 – $3500|
|250 miles||$600 – $1700||$1100 – $1800||$1900 – $2800|
Benefits when choosing professional out-of-state movers
There are companies that offer different moving services that fit your needs:
- You can choose complete services, Door2Door, or customized services
- You have assistance and advice throughout the move
- They can offer you hangers for wardrobe
- You know the cost from the beginning
Do you just want to transport or pack the goods? Do you have furniture or do you want to enter the house when everything is already in place? You choose the service package that suits you when you hire professional movers for out-of-state moving. Here are some of the services offered, including the benefits:
- Personalized services – The move will be exactly as you imagine. You tell them what services you need.
- Installation of furniture – Their teams can disassemble and reassemble the furniture if you don’t want to stress with this job yourself.
- Free real evaluation – They come to your home to accurately identify the variables and estimate a fair cost from the start.
- Cardboard boxes – They come with boxes that can support up to 30 kg.
- Plastic boxes – For the safety of tableware and fragile goods they can offer you packing paper and plastic boxes that can be sealed.
- Wardrobe hangers – From the old dressing room directly to the new dressing room. Your shirts and costumes will arrive at your destination in perfect condition.
- Related services – There is almost always the need for a plumber, electrician, or cleaning company. They can recommend tested and accredited professionals.
- Welcome home – They help you make the transition easy, without hassle. It’s easy to get into your new home when all you need is in place.
- Every move is unique – You have your own moving team at your disposal, so they are with you step by step, for any questions you have.
Factors that influence the cost of moving from state to state
First, to get an idea of how much it will cost to move, bring your calculator. More than anything, it will depend on the type of objects you are going to move, whether you want to handle this yourself or hire someone to do it for you, how many workers you will need, and how far you move, among other things.
Relocation is almost always a costly process. You have to pay to transport your belongings, and the longer the distance your expenses will increase. You need a new home, you have to pay taxes to activate the utilities, and you may need cleaning or more furniture. If you go to a less developed city, prices may be low, while living in a metropolis is more expensive.
Always ask for offers from more than 1 company to compare prices. Any doubts or questions you have must be specified and clarified in the contract. It is better to do everything through the appropriate channels so that you do not have unpleasant surprises later. For example, when having to pay for something that has broken/damaged during the move. When you make the payment, it is better to do it through an invoice and to pay only after the service is performed. If the company asks you for money in advance, you should look for another one.
On the other hand, try doing what you can on your own. Leave large objects – sofas, refrigerators, washing machines, etc. – in the hands of the company that helps you with moving, but if you have a personal car, you can move certain objects yourself, or you can rent a van.
As you pack your bags and boxes, you’ll probably find that you have more things than you thought and that you’ve collected more unnecessary things than you realized, but you can get rid of what you don’t need. Sell items you don’t need, donate them, or just throw them in the nearest trash can, but don’t take them with you in the new house.
Last but not least, even if it’s not the hardest thing physically, it may be the one that can give you the most headaches – do not forget the important papers! Make a list of all the contracted services in the house you leave, so you can close them, and another list of all the things you need to sign with in your new home. Your priority must be your registration and the change of residence at the local council, but also changing the doctor at the nearest health center. Then there are things like changing your name on electricity, gas, and water bills, plus insurance, internet, and any other facilities or services you need.
Plan and organize everything in time
- Make a home plan when moving out of state move to know in advance how you will arrange things;
- Ask a representative of the moving company for a prior assessment of the moving conditions;
- The employees of the company will come, dismantle the furniture, and pack every object;
- Label each box – take inventory of everything before shipping and once again at your destination.
Before deciding whether or not to move to another city, weigh the advantages and disadvantages of this process. You need to know very well the difference between moving on your own and hiring professional out-of-state movers, or renting a van or a truck, so you can calculate the costs as this can be very expensive.