Hidden fences for dogs (also called invisible) are the products that offer the greatest freedom and safety for both four-legged friends and their human friends. With the hidden fences, the escape of the dog from the family yard becomes almost impossible, and the garden with flowers or vegetables, the swimming pool, and any space forbidden to the dog will be protected.
How Much Does an Invisible Pet Fence Cost?
You should be prepared to pay around $2.75 per foot for installing a wireless pet fence around your yard. Firstly, a fence contractor will come and mark the area to be surrounded and will verify whether there are any underground utilities.
In general, the contractor will provide the tools, machinery, all connectors, all necessary attachments, collars for your pet, and the labor for installing the underground wire. Also, after completing the fence installation, they will leave the flags in place so you can use them during the training process.
The cost of a DIY wireless or wired kit for installing an invisible dog fence will depend on the size of the area it serves and the quality of the kit. Also, there are some other factors to take into consideration, such as:
- Extra training flags – in general, kits with flags contain one flag for every 10 to 20 feet of wire.
- Tools needed for DIY trenching – you will not have to spend so much for a shovel compared to renting a trencher, but the work will be much harder.
- The number of collars needed – the majority of the kits include one receiver collar.
- The complexity of a professionally installed fence – the cheapest are the jobs with straight lines in open ground, while the most expensive will be the jobs with obstacles like sidewalks, large tree root systems, and driveways, and those with non-rectangular installation.
- The length of your professionally installed fence – the cost will depend on the amount of installed wire and whether an extra transmitter is needed.
Costs per categories
You can get a better idea about the costs involved with installing an invisible pet fence by reading the following lines that show you the potential expenses based on the type of system you go for.
- Wireless fence kit with one or two collars – $160 to $320
- Wireless fence kit with 500 to 1,000 feet of wire and one or two collars – $160 to $350
- Trencher rental based on half-day and full-day rental – $75 to $110
- Extra collar – $75 to $170
- Replacement rechargeable receiver batteries – $20 to $30
- Spool with ‘500 of wire – $20 to $50
- Replacement receiver straps – $10 to $15
In order to limit the risk of having to replace anything or return to repair, professionals use top-quality equipment with heavy-gauge wire. They will charge you for the time needed to install the system, the kit, and the additional accessories. Be prepared to pay anywhere between $0.50 and $1.75 per linear foot for installing underground wire, depending on the types of obstacles encountered and the shape of the area. Below you will find some examples of installed invisible fence costs when using professional-quality equipment:
- System with 1,000 feet of wire (around 1.45 acres) – $650 to $1,500
- System with 850 feet of wire (1 acre) – $620 to $1,300
- System with 500 feet of wire (around 0.36 acres) – $500 to $900
When talking about larger areas, the cost of the kit is around $320, including one collar, wire, and transmitter with power cord and the installation is around $0.50 per linear foot for rectangular areas with soft soils and no obstacles. If the perimeter has more than four corners or has curbed lines and gravel or dry clay soil with obstacles, the cost of installation will be around $1.50 per linear foot.
The Cost of Invisible Fence per Acre or Foot
In the table below you will find the average cost of installing an invisible fence for different area sizes.
|Area Size (Linear feet)||Wireless Fence Cost||Estimated Installed Cost|
|10 Acres (Approx 8500 feet)||$850 – $1,000||$18,000|
|5 Acres (Approx 4,250 feet)||$700 – $850||$9,500|
|4 Acres (Approx 3,400 feet)||$550- $700||$6,000|
|3 Acres (Approx 2,550 feet)||$450 – $600||$4,500|
|2 Acres (Approx 1,700 feet)||$350 – $500||$3,000|
|1 Acre (Approx 850 feet)||$240 – $400||$1,650|
What exactly is an invisible dog fence?
It is actually a closed perimeter made of copper wire buried at a depth specified by the manufacturer and connected to a device that emits an electrical impulse. This electrical impulse is captured by a special collar that you will have to put around your pet’s neck.
Thus, if the quadruped approaches the area delimited by the copper wire it is warned first by sound by the collar, and if it continues to approach it will receive an electrical impulse, causing a slight discomfort that will make it retreat to the safe area. This type of invisible fence for dogs is ideal both to protect areas inside the yard and to ensure that the animal does not leave the yard.
What are the additional expenses?
Be prepared to spend up to $80 for marking the underground utilities. In general, the majority of the underground fence wires are not installed that deep to hit utilities. To be sure that you will not hit any utility wire, call 811 or your utility company to determine if utilities have to be marked. In most areas this service is free.
Important things to consider
The majority of the invisible fences that cover up to 1.5 acres can be installed in one day, while for the jobs covering up to 5 acres two days will be needed. Large jobs with complex installation necessities will take you around three days or even more.
How to choose an invisible electric fence for dogs
As more and more invisible dog fence companies emerge to take advantage of the high demand for the product, a question inevitably arises: how do we choose the best invisible dog fence?
Here are some key features worth considering:
- Yard Size: Opt for an invisible dog fence with a large coverage capacity.
- Battery Life: Since invisible dog fences are battery-operated, it is important to choose a product with a long battery life or one that uses rechargeable batteries.
- The number of dogs: Many wireless electric fences support a limited number of dogs. In any case, there are also such products that provide compatible collars that can be purchased separately.
- Landscaping: Remember that radio waves travel linearly. Make sure there are no barriers (e.g.: metal objects) that can interrupt the transmission between the transmitter and the receiver.
Why choose an invisible dog fence?
The invisible fence for dogs is the simplest form of delimitation of a perimeter that allows dogs to move freely outside the house but also protects them from running outside the yard or the delimited area, jumping the fence, or digging under the fence.
Can I install an invisible dog fence myself?
The installation of an invisible dog fence is not a difficult project, except for the situation when you have to bury the utility wires. However, if you are a skilled and handy homeowner, you can rent a burying tool.
How long does it take to train my dog?
In general, your beloved pet will learn very quickly that if he/she will cross the fence the system will apply a shock.
Can invisible dog fences hurt the animal?
Not. The receiver collar will receive a signal if the dog ventures outside the defined area. The quadruped will hear a warning beep, and if it does not return, the collar emits another beep followed by a mild static correction, and if it continues to move away, the impulse and intensity increase.