The kitchen is an inseparable element of every apartment or house. This is where the meals are prepared. It is also often a room where the social life of the household takes place. When deciding on a general kitchen renovation, it pays to prepare carefully and think about several key aspects, such as ordering customized kitchen furniture or buying ready-made furniture from a store. A proper plan and well-thought-out decisions can save you from unnecessary expenses and needless stress.
The cost estimate for the kitchen renovation will include plumbing, new tiles, painting the walls, as well as the purchase of new kitchen furniture, sink, refrigerator, dishwasher, oven and under-cabinet lighting.
How much does it cost to remodel your kitchen?
According to the National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA), you should plan on spending 15% to 20% of the value of your house for remodeling your kitchen. For example, if your house values around $250,000, you will have to spend anywhere between $37,000 and $50,000 for remodeling your kitchen.
Below you will find the NKBA’s cost percentage guide for remodeling an average kitchen:
- plumbing and faucets: 4%
- hardware and cabinetry: 29%
- windows and doors: 4%
- installation: 17%
- design fees: 4%
- ventilation and appliances: 14%
- ceilings and walls: 5%
- countertops: 10%
- lighting: 5%
- flooring: 7%
- others: 1%
The remodeling of your kitchen may be one of the most expensive home improvement projects, but you may be able to do a facelift without spending a lot of money. Make simple changes and keep the original structure of the kitchen to keep your expenses down.
Costs breakdown for basic kitchen remodel
Plan on spending anywhere between $15,000 and $26,000 for a basic kitchen remodel. Below you will find the average expenses for each work involved in this project.
- Countertops replacement: $3,500 to $6,500 for a cost-smart countertop material like marble, quartzite or granite;
- Flooring: $1,000 to $2,500 for refurbishing the current wood floors or installing cheap laminate flooring;
- Cabinets refurbishing: $1,550 to $3,600 for refurbishing the current cabinets and changing the hardware;
- Professionally replace the light switch plates and wall socket: $80 to $130 per hour for a licensed electrician ($7 to $28 per receptacle or socket);
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures: $760 to $2,600 for updating the sink and faucet;
- Lighting: $255 to $760 for a basic change of the current fixtures. Install under-cabinet task lighting with LED light strips or choose eco-friendly versions.
- Painting the ceiling, walls, and trim: $760 to $2,100 for painting the kitchen.
Costs breakdown for mid-range kitchen remodel
Plan on spending anywhere between $31,000 and $76,000 for a mid-range kitchen remodel.
In the following lines you will find the average expenses for each work involved in this project.
- Backsplash: $1,100 to $4,600 for adding visual interest with a tile backsplash;
- Cabinets: $7,500 to $16,000 for installing new cabinets in your kitchen;
- Flooring: $1,100 to $2,600 for replacing the current floor with tiles or laminate;
- Countertops: $3,500 to $7,100 for upgrading the countertops to a better-quality material like granite or quartz;
- Plumbing fixtures: $850 to $2,600 for replacing the worn-out fixtures, faucet and sink with modern models like a built-in soap dispenser, a gooseneck faucet or a drop-in, single-basin sink;
- Appliances: $4,000 to $8,700 for upgrading the current appliances with energy-efficient models;
- Lighting: $1,100 to $2,600 for updating the lighting.
Costs breakdown for deluxe kitchen remodel
Expect to spend anywhere $76,000 to more than $127,000 for a deluxe kitchen remodel.
In the following lines are presented the average expenses for each job involved with this project.
- Paint ceiling, walls, and trim: $800 to $2,200;
- Cabinets customization: $21,000 to $32,000 for building customized kitchen cabinets which may include crown molding, soft-close, cheery wood drawers and doors;
- Flooring: $4,600 to $7,600 for installing natural stone floor which is very durable or for an eco-friendly option choose cork;
- High-end countertops: $7,500 to more than $10,000 for creating workstations which are more aesthetically pleasing and efficient;
- Upscale faucet and sink: $3,200 to $4,700 for upgrading the sink and faucet to a nickel-plated faucet or triple-basin sink;
- Custom build-in appliances: $13,000 to $22,000 for purchasing new, modern appliances such as a refrigerator with Bluetooth capabilities or a convection oven with warming drawer;
- Lighting: $3,900 to $6,000 for installing track lights, undercabinet workspace lighting and recessed lighting;
- Others: more than $1,000 for adding different style elements like hidden undercabinet electrical outlets, crown molding and glass tile backsplash.
Why should we opt for kitchen remodel?
Although it might seem like a considerable expense, the kitchen remodel project is, in reality, an extremely efficient investment. Here are some of the reasons why it would be good to renovate the kitchen:
- Efficiency – Old construction materials did not follow the efficiency of energy consumption. Instead, through a renovation, you will be able to opt for energy-efficient materials, which can reduce monthly expenses;
- Modernization – People’s needs change, and for this reason, technologies are constantly evolving. By renovating the kitchen, you will be able to opt for modern, much more efficient solutions;
- Comfort – Comfort does not only refer to the chairs we sit on when having dinner. When renovating, you will be able, for example, to opt for high-performance ventilation systems, which will allow the release of steam and the ventilation of the kitchen;
- Space – When the family grows, space can become a real problem. Renovating the kitchen can allow you to reorganize the room (number of cupboards, their size, etc.);
- Appearance – Last but not least, many kitchens are visually outdated. By remodeling, you will give the kitchen a new, fresh appearance, which you will certainly enjoy with your loved ones.
Therefore, the return on investment will certainly not go unnoticed. As I said before, the kitchen is one of the most important rooms in the house, and its renovation has only advantages.