Until a few years ago, the general opinion was that the dishwasher is just a fad and that washing dishes by hand is a normal activity. This trend has begun to change, and many have learned the benefits of a good dishwasher.
For example, the dishwasher consumes less water for the same amount of dishwashing. Most models have a consumption of between 6 and 11 liters of water for a full load of dishes. That means at least 10 plates, a few pots, 10-20 pieces of cutlery, and probably a few glasses. It is easy to see how efficient it is and how much water is consumed if you wash the dishes by hand and let the water run continuously in the process.
In short, a dishwasher will help you consume less water, save time and have clean and sanitized dishes.
How much does it cost a standard dishwasher?
The cost of a standard dishwasher starts at around $210 for a basic model and goes up to more than $1,100 for a top-of-the-line, energy-efficient model. The price of the majority of mid-range models is anywhere between $410 and $510.
Standard dishwasher details
This type of dishwasher can be placed anywhere in the house (kitchen, hallway, closet, kitchen countertop, etc.) provided you have everything you need already drawn near (power outlet, water pipe for connection, drain for evacuation the water).
These standard washing machines are the most common type of dishwasher, so you will be sure you will find a model that has all the features you need.
If you have average dishwashing needs a standard dishwasher is the right choice for you. This is suitable for small households.
Advantages of a standard dishwasher
- Being the most common type, it is also the cheapest.
- In this category, you have the widest variety of models and functions.
- Due to the fact that they are not incorporated in the furniture, they are easier to assemble and disassemble. For example, if you move to another house, you can take the dishwasher with you easily.
- Maintenance and repairs are also easier to perform for the same reason.
- Also, in this category, you will easily find mini dishwashers, which can be placed above the kitchen counter.
Disadvantages of a standard dishwasher
- It does not integrate perfectly into the kitchen furniture. But, depending on the colors and style of your kitchen, you can find standard dishwashers that fit very well.
- This type of dishwasher makes more noise than the tall tub models due to the fact that the sound escapes through the kick plate area.
How much does a tall tub dishwasher cost?
The average cost of a tall tub dishwasher is a little bit higher compared to a standard dishwasher. Its cost starts at around $210 as well and goes up to more than $1,100, but the price of most mid-range models is anywhere between $510 and $710.
Tall tub dishwasher details
The tall tub dishwasher is also known as a super capacity model because it has a larger interior than a standard dishwasher as there is no kick plate at the bottom.
Also, compared to a standard dishwasher, a tall tub dishwasher has a capacity of 20% more and can hold up to 16 place settings. Though, most models of tall tub dishwashers can fit perfectly under a standard-size countertop and so your kitchen will have an elegant design.
This type of dishwasher is perfect if you need to clean large items like pans, cookie sheets, pots, vases, and large wine glasses or if you have to run one or even more loads per day.
Advantages of a tall tub dishwasher
- Tall tub dishwashers offer more space and can hold four extra plate settings.
- Being perfectly incorporated in the furniture, they are ideal for elegant kitchens.
- Because there is no kick plate, this model is quieter.
Disadvantages of a tall tub dishwasher
- They are usually more expensive than standard models.
- Maintenance and repairs are more difficult.
How to install the dishwasher?
All machines come with installation instructions from the manufacturer. Read them carefully, as they may differ greatly from model to model. Also, for your safety, we recommend that the installation is done by a professional.
How much water does a dishwasher consume?
Usually, the dishwasher consumes less than 3500 L water/year. Of course, consumption also depends on how often you use it. It is important to note, however, that the dishwasher consumes less water than manual washing.
How can I reduce the consumption of the dishwasher?
Larger dishwashers are usually more efficient, both in terms of energy consumption and water consumption. This is because they wash a larger number of dishes with minimal addition of water and energy. Other ways to save money are eco-friendly or short-term programs, ideal for lightly soiled dishes.
How is the dishwasher maintained?
Most dishwashers have a small waste bin – this should be emptied frequently, usually once a week. Some models also have a salt compartment, which must be filled periodically (if the detergent you use does not contain salt). Also, if recommended by the manufacturer, you can run a dishwasher-free cycle to clean the dishwasher occasionally.